Oregon’s Employment Department has launched listening sessions for employers and employees across Oregon so they can collect input on the implementation of the Paid Family and Medical Leave Insurance (PFMLI) program. As a reminder, the rulemaking committees have been meeting all year and are expected to continue to meet into 2021. Premiums will start being collected for the program January 1, 2022 with employees accessing the new paid benefit January 1, 2023.
The listening sessions will be held virtually via Zoom. Each town hall will address a particular aspect of the PFMLI program, like benefits or small employers. Town hall participants are invited to identify issues, offer ideas, raise concerns, or make suggestions relating to the program’s development and the administrative rules needed to implement the program.
Paid Family and Medical Leave Town Halls:
- Oct. 13, 2:00PM – 3:00PM – Contributions
- This session will focus on employer and employee contribution rates, employer reporting requirements, remittance of payments, and collection issues.?
- Oct. 27, 2:00PM – 3:00PM – Equivalent Plans
- This session will focus on submission and review of equivalent plans offered by employers; renewal, withdrawal, and termination of employer plans; and resolution of disputes between employers and employees concerning equivalent plans.??
- Nov. 9, 6:30PM – 7:30PM – Benefits
- This session will focus on program eligibility, application for benefits, qualifying leave purposes for benefits, delivery of benefits, and requirements for employees to provide notice to employers prior to taking PFMLI leave.?
- Nov. 17, 2:00PM – 3:00PM – Small Employers
- This session will focus on small employers; assistance grants to help with the cost of hiring temporary replacement workers or other related costs; and job protection provisions, including continuation of health benefits and restoration to equivalent or similar positions.
- Dec. 8, 6:30PM – 7:30PM – Self Employed / Independent Contractors
- This session will focus on self-employed individuals and independent contractors who elect to participate in the program, including contribution and benefit amounts and how to elect coverage.?