The Salem Area Chamber of Commerce has opened the search process for a Chief Executive Officer to succeed Nick Williams who recently announced that he was stepping down for family reasons. The Job Description, including information on SACC and a summary of information on the CEO position, can be found below.
Salem Area Chamber of Commerce Job Description: Chief Executive Officer
About the Salem Area Chamber of Commerce
The Salem Area Chamber of Commerce (SACC) serves the needs of the business community in the Mid-Willamette Valley, representing over 1,200 businesses that employ approximately 35,000 throughout the region. Chamber members are dedicated to efforts that ensure Salem and the surrounding communities remain vibrant and attractive for businesses, their employees, and the entire regional community.
Key Roles and Programs: Business advocacy: SACC represents its members’ interests at the local, regional and state levels on public policies that impact the competitiveness and the ability to do business in the Mid-Willamette Valley. Community involvement: SACC builds relationships and develops leadership skills in youth and adults to ensure that we get highly-qualified individuals serving in the community, which creates a higher quality of life where business can thrive. Business development and visibility: SACC connects our members to the people, information and resources they need to grow and promote their businesses, keeping our community strong.
Serving at the will of the Board of Directors, the CEO of the SACC provides the leadership, direction, and management for all aspects of Chamber activities and is responsible for seeing that the strategic initiatives and policies of the Board are effectively implemented.
Under the direction of a continually evolving Board of Directors and annually changing Officers, the CEO is responsible for maintaining continuity and consistency in programming for the Chamber. The CEO provides counsel to the Board and committees regarding public policy, programs, events and other key initiatives, and serves as the principal advocate and spokesperson for the Chamber.
The CEO works closely with a wide range of constituencies throughout the MidWillamette Valley in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors to build support and relationships consistent with the Chamber’s overall business and community building mission and priorities.
As the CEO of the organization, responsibilities include a full range of activities to ensure the Chamber’s success in meeting its business advocacy, community involvement and development, membership services, and special program goals and objectives. Specifically, the CEO is responsible for the following essential functions:
- Strategic and Operational Planning: In conjunction with the Board and staff, devise and implement a strategic plan and annual program of work to advance the Chamber’s mission. Work with Chamber committees to identify issues and needs, and develop plans to address them. Evaluate effectiveness and measure progress toward attainment.
- Board Relations: Build and maintain strong relationships and communications with the Executive Committee and Board of Directors. Provide leadership necessary to garner full engagement of Board members. Plan and organize Executive Committee and Board meetings and coordinate plans and agenda for annual board meeting.
- External Relationships: Convene meetings and coalitions of groups that share common priorities. Represent the Chamber at appropriate political events.
- Advocacy and Public Affairs: Collaborate with the Board and relevant public affairs committees to identify and manage the Chamber’s relationships and advocacy efforts with local, regional, state, and federal government bodies to achieve desired outcomes. Leverage and maximize the Chamber’s influence through relationships with government officials.
- Administration and Staffing: Manage a highly effective organization as measured by staff performance, membership satisfaction, quality programs and initiatives, and revenue and expense management. Prepare and manage a budget aligned with the Chamber’s business advocacy, regional development and member service goals. Build and maintain a staff consistent with program needs and financial resources. Manage, develop, and evaluate direct reports on Chamber management team. Provide leadership to maintain an organizational culture of excellence, respect, diversity, and collaboration among teams and individuals.
- Membership Relations, Development and Retention: Provide leadership in the area of membership services to ensure there is a compelling value proposition for current and prospective members. Work effectively with executives of companies and organizations of all types and sizes across the broad range of Chamber members throughout the Mid-Willamette Valley. Analyze and interpret the needs of members and recommend revisions to increase membership value, engagement, and financial support.
Other duties as assigned: Perform various other assignments as directed by the President, Executive Committee, and Board of Trustees that are congruent with the Chamber’s mission and bylaws.
Personal Characteristics and Experience
Ideally, the CEO of the SACC will have a unique combination of personal and professional qualifications. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Familiarity with the unique challenges of running a nonprofit; someone who understands the dynamics of a chamber of commerce or similar organization and who is genuinely interested in working effectively within that universe.
- Executive style that can generate respect and support from a wide range of constituencies, including large and small business, nonprofits, community groups, elected leaders and senior staff at the local, regional, state and federal level.
- Passion for the Mid-Willamette Valley; someone who has made or wants to make a long-term commitment to the Salem community and the state of Oregon.
- Strong political and business acumen; politically balanced/bipartisan.
- Ability to lead the development and implementation of a long term vision that enhances the Chamber’s value proposition and relevance to current and future members.
- Willingness to pursue new ideas and challenge traditional thinking.
- Intelligence and experience in working complex issues and financial data; proficiency in budgets, financial statements and controls.
- Motivational leader who can attract, retain, develop, and empower staff.
- Leader who embraces diversity and has had success in working with a diverse community.
- Good listener who can articulate the Chamber’s mission and vision, and to retain and attract new members.
- Personal energy, excellent communication skills and presentation ability; comfortable with new and traditional media.
- Proven record of developing/managing strong organizations and management teams; progressive senior management experience in a comparably-sized or situated organization.
- Focused yet balanced perspective – someone who is able to balance priorities.
Due to the intimate working relationship of the CEO with the Salem community, the CEO is required to reside in the Salem community.
The Chamber offers a highly competitive salary and benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, long-term disability, and a Simple IRA plan.
Contact Information and Procedure
Submit cover letter and resume (maximum of three pages) as indicated below. Applicant confidentiality will be maintained.
Mail: ATTN: Bruce Anderson, chair, CEO Search Committee
Salem Area Chamber of Commerce
1110 Commercial St NE
Salem, OR 97301
Email: email@example.com with “SACC CEO Opening” in the subject line.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: PLEASE COMPLETE AND SUBMIT APPLICATIONS BY FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 2, 2018.
Thank you for your interest.