(Portland, OR) — Governor Kate Brown today provided an update on the state’s ongoing interagency response to wildfires across Oregon. She was joined in the briefing by Department of Forestry Fire Chief Doug Grafe, State Fire Marshal Mariana Ruiz-Temple, Major General Michael Stencel of the Oregon National Guard, Office of Emergency Management Director Andrew Phelps, and Gabriela Goldfarb, Environmental Public Health Manager at the Oregon Health Authority. Throughout fire season, regular updates for media on active wildfires in Oregon will be provided.
“It’s shaping up to be another difficult wildfire season. And unfortunately, we’re responding to new fires as we continue to recover from last year’s devastating fire season,” said Governor Brown. “The good news is there’s a lot of excellent work happening on the ground to protect Oregonians, to protect our homes, and our land.
“After last year, what is very clear is that no corner of our state is immune to fire. On the West Coast, and here in Oregon, the urgent and dangerous climate crisis has exacerbated conditions on the ground. We’re seeing extensive drought conditions across the state, with 19 counties in drought emergencies. Unprecedented heat waves. And fire seasons that are arriving earlier, coming on faster and lasting for longer.
“We must be prepared. Each and every one of us.
“Last year’s historic fire season taught us that being prepared can truly be the difference between life and death. Being prepared is also one of the best ways you can help our frontline firefighters do their job.”
- A copy of the Governor’s prepared remarks from today’s press conference is available here.
- More information is available at wildfire.oregon.gov. Oregonians can sign up for local emergency alerts at ORAlert.gov.
- A recording of today’s live-streamed press conference is available on YouTube. Please note the video starts at the 17:43 mark.
- A recording of a Spanish language translation is available on OHA’s Facebook page.
- An HD recording of today’s press conference for members of the media is available on Vimeo.